Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Jewelry We Love: Asta International









I love culture and anthropology, but I also adore jewelry, so you can imagine how delighted I was to discover Asta International! These beautifully crafted pieces from South America are truly wearable pieces of art (not to mention conversation-starters!). Inspired by a trip to Colombia, Asta Rockwood, who is originally from Lithuania but now resides in Boston, decided she wanted to bring the jewelry to an even larger market. Asta makes sure that the crafters receive fair wages to help support their families. In addition, 100% of every Jewel of the Month purchase, and ten percent of every web purchase goes towards the non-profit Asta International Fund, which helps to provide low income families in Asta's native Lithuania with educational scholarships. Asta says, "I chose this idea due to my personal experience years ago that made me make my drastic decision to move out of my home, and away from my family to pursue a better life, an education [in the US]. I believe that hard work and perhaps a little help from Asta International, all determined students can achieve their life's dream as I have." Yes, each piece is more than just a jewel...

Pictured: Some of Asta's personal favorites.
Visit the Asta International Website

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to purchase some!! Checking out the website now. I really love this blog and the assortment of topics. Kudos xx

    ReplyDelete